Thursday, December 10, 2015

Homemade Sunbutter

My daughter is allergic to peanuts. Before we discovered this, though, she loved peanut butter and jelly. Every kid loves PB&J, don't they? I'm pretty sure my son would eat it every day, if I'd let him!

There are a few options to replace peanut butter and most all of them can be made at home. Sunbutter (or sunflower seed butter) is a healthy and delicious option! It's also super easy to make, as long as you have a food processor to grind the seeds.



Homemade Sunbutter 

14oz roasted unsalted sunflower seeds
3/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp olive oil
1-2 tbsp honey

Place sunflower seeds in food processor and grind until seeds turn to a smooth consistency. (Think peanut butter.) Add salt, oil, and honey. Grind again for about 30 seconds. Taste and feel to decide if you need more of anything. We like ours plenty sweet, so I use the full 2 tbsp of honey.



Store in a Mason jar with a lid at room temperature.

Sunbutter works great for "PB&J", replaces peanut butter in recipes, OR you can dip apple slices in it like my kids do. My daughter loves it so much that she picks it up with her fingers and skips the apples. Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment